To survive any kind of disaster, preparation is essential. If you wait for something to happen before you take action then it is probably too late. Consider these three steps for your disaster preparation:
Fist Step of Disaster Preparedness
None of us can be sure when disaster may strike and the best way to survive disaster is to first prepare for a short-term emergency, such as 72 hours. That is why your purchase of quality survival kits for each member of your family and pets is highly recommended. Check out The Survival Master Guide, other pages on this site for survival products and at the bottom of this article.
Once you have done your purchasing, you can at feel better knowing that you have taken the first step to preparing for a small disaster. Unfortunately, many disasters are not small. Take Hurricane Katrina of 2005, for example. Hurricane Katrina spread destruction across 7 states, with New Orleans, Louisiana being the hardest hit.
If you don’t live in an area which typically suffers attacks from hurricanes, how safe are you from other natural disasters? The extreme temperatures of 1980 killed 1260 people in the United States.The 1980 disastrous heat wave and drought caused crops to fail and the resulting food shortages brought increased food prices to consumers. Since storms typically cause over half of natural disaster fatalities, why not focus your initial survival planning there? Storms often knock out electrical power from wind, flooding or snow, so plan for storm disasters first; especially if you feel overwhelmed with all of the “what ifs” disaster scenarios.
Second Step of Disaster Preparedness
When you are satisfied that you and each member of your family can survive an emergency for three days, then move on to make a survival plan for one week.
Last winter a storm hit our area with 90 mile/hr. winds and the power went out.One section of our community was without power for two weeks with below zero temperatures. Another community in our state had a total snowfall of 18 feet in January 2012 while another community had 27 feet of snow.
There were no deaths, and neighbors helped neighbors, people didn’t panic, a lot of small generators powered up, wood stoves burned through lots of stored wood, and all survived. People hauled water when their pipes froze, and didn’t starve, because they were well prepared with canned and smoked fish, frozen moose meat, and canned/frozen berries and garden veggies.
Local community agencies offer many resources to help residents survive. By this time you may be thinking that our climate is harsh.Yes, and we don’t run from it, either. We stock up on food and wood and other supplies all summer. We hunt, fish, can, dry, and freeze foods to store for winter. We prepare, dig in, and survive! You can, too. Even if you are living in an urban setting, you can buy items on sale, and stock up on essentials.
Final Step of Disaster Preparedness
We then have to consider extreme disaster preparedness; planning to survive one month
Our winters in Alaska are 8-9 months long! Oh yes, we have cities here. We work and buy food at stores just like everyone else. But if you have ever been here, you may have left with the impression that Alaskans are serious about their rights to subsistence fishing. Moose hunting season empties a lot of offices around Anchorage and Fairbanks in the fall season. Winter comes once a year, and it is rough, so we make ready.
Sounds easy? Well, someone told me that researching something is the easiest part of any project. The hardest part is to stop researching and start doing!
So let’s start with the easy part – research. There is a plethora of information available online. There are disaster plan guides you can download, survival lists, and gardening tips galore. There are government agencies with resources to help.
Utilize your local community resources to find out about local edible plants and how to get the most out of your gardening efforts for your own climate and soil types. Check out university extension services in your area for edible plants indigenous to your area and plant the seeds they recommend.
These are just a few ideas. Revise your Survival Plan to supply you and your loved ones for at least one month. Include renewable resources native to your region and a few hand tools. Drill it down to just the essentials on your list of survival items. If you can survive one month, you will survive 9 months!
By doing your research, you have the knowledge you need for most emergencies.Collect your survival items on your list and keep to the essentials. Survival products make your job easier. Most of the planning is already done for you.
There are websites that have product categories which have your major survival concerns organized. Make your survival items list and shop carefully for first aid supplies, survival kits, storage foods and survival equipment based on your research you have done.
Disaster preparedness items:
The Ultimate Survival Medicine Guide: Emergency Preparedness for ANY Disaster
- Quality material used to make all Pro force products
- Tested in the field and used in the toughest environments
- 100 percent designed in the USA
Disaster Preparedness For Women: 52 Steps To Get Ready For Any Emergency (with checklists and plans)
|Is Adult Product|
|Number Of Pages||196|
XMRE BLUE LINE Food Packs Shelf Stable, Fully Cooked Ready to Eat Meal Kit- No Refrigeration - Great for Camping, Backpacking or Disaster Preparedness Case includes 12 Full Meals
- Genuine US War Fighter Rations Inspected and Verified Fresh by Western Frontier - 12 different Meals per Case With Inspection Date disclosed on case.
- Ships lightning fast with Amazon Prime so you can get your cases in time for the weekend camping trip, hunting adventure, fishing excursion, emergency preparations, zombie apocalypse, or whatever your needs may be .
- Fresh, Great Tasting, and Longest Shelf Life Military MRE on the Market. Bright Red TTI Indicator. Case A or B Selected at Random. WARNING! MRE Listings with no disclosed pack date are an invitation to receive expired MREs.
- Only Western Frontier inspects and guarantees each meal ready to eat. No crusty, old expired meals like you read about on the other listings. These are for Serious MRE consumers who want the best, longest shelf life, and best tasting Meals Ready to Eat. Quantities are limited, so order yours while they are still in stock. To order individual ULTIMATE MRE meals
Handbook to Practical Disaster Preparedness for the Family, 3rd Edition
|Is Adult Product|
|Number Of Pages||440|
Emergency Radio, Survival Hand Crank Self Powered AM FM NOAA Weather Station SOS Alarm Radio Kits with LED Flashlights Music 2200mAh Solar Portable Charger for Camping Supplies Disaster Preparedness
- ⚡ ESSENTIAL TOOL FOR EMERGENCY/OUTDOOR/WILD – Portable kits for Survival Camping Supplies Disaster Preparedness Family. The REINFORCED hand crank radio comes integrated with self powered generator, survival flashlights, NOAA/FM/AM radio access, 4 power sources, 2200mAh power bank, SOS alarm, music player to meet the survival supplies.
- ⚡ 2200mAh POWER BANK/SELF POWERED GENERATOR – Enhanced Anti-breakage Hand Crank Radio with portable charger capable of providing emergency power supplies to any tablets, phone or small devices anytime anywhere. 4 power source options include a HAND CRANK generator, USB cable, SOLAR PANEL, or inserting 3*AAA BATTERIES for quickly power restoration.
- ⚡ NOAA/AM/FM RADIO ACCESS & ZOOM FLASHLIGHTS – NOAA radio stations with 24/7 weather forecasts, also including all local WB AM FM frequencies with adjustable antenna and volume for up-to-date weather reports news. Emergency flashlights with zoom can switch as LED torch, light source and SOS light.
- ⚡ SOS ALARM/MUSIC PLAYER/RETRO STYLE - Mini Size! Classic Design! Looks Great! Easy to Carry! SOS button for emergency help! Music player with micro-SD and USB stick ports for more relax time! Retro lightweight design is as portable as your phone.
- ⚡ 100% SATISFACTION & LIFETIME WARRANTY - Lifetime Warranty! POVO emergency radio with detailed instruction pamphlet and sophisticated package provide more professional emergency survival preparedness.
Tiny Survival Guide: A Life Insurance Policy in Your Pocket - The Ultimate “Survive Anything” Everyday Carry: Emergency, Disaster Preparedness Micro-Guide
- CARRY IT WITH YOU EVERYWHERE / All THE TIME: Credit-Card Sized to Fit In Your: Wallet, Pocket, Survival Kit, Glove Box, Purse, Pouch.ONE Tough GUIDE: Made of Special Tear and Weather Resistant Material Used in High-End Maps.
- INSIDE YOU WILL FIND: 101 Illustrations / 67 Lifesaving Survival Skills / 175 Expert Tips / 24 Gear Checklists / 10 “Killer” Mistakes You Must Avoid / 5 Mental Tips to Conquer Crisis / 19 Essential Tactics Survivors Use / 7 Self Defense Tips
- A REACTIVE EMERGENCY TOOL: Keep the Tiny SURVIVAL GUIDE on you at ALL times. Pull it out as a quick reference when you are SUDDENLY caught in an unexpected emergency or disaster situation. It’s like a Life Insurance Policy in Your Pocket.
- LEARN TO SURVIVE THESE THREATS: Wilderness Mishaps - Civil Unrest - Surprise Attacks - Natural Disasters - Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Events - Abduction, Hostage and Terror Threats - Active Shooter Situation - Vehicle Accidents - Hiking, Camping and Hunting Emergencies - And a lot MORE!
- A PRO ACTIVE LEARNING TOOL: BEFORE Disaster Strikes - Use the guide to develop your MINDSET, SKILLS, TACTICS and GEAR CACHE. Makes a Great Gift! Scan the QR code for Digital Details!
Sustain Supply Co. 9-08395 Essential 2-Person Emergency Survival Bag/Kit – Be Equipped for 72 Hours of Disaster Preparedness with Premium Basic Supplies for 2 People
- 72-HOUR SUSTAINABILITY FOR TWO PEOPLE - With this 2-person emergency kit, you'll have all the necessary supplies needed for 72 hours of survival for 2 people, including 2 Sustain Survival straws for water filtration, reusable blankets, food and more.
- SUPERIOR QUALITY SUPPLIES - All of the items provided in your basic emergency bug-out bag (BOB) are premium. All items included, from 1 Aqua Literz 33.8oz Emergency Water to 1 fully stocked First Aid Kit, are top-of-the-line quality, giving peace of mind.
- ALL YOU NEED IN ONE PLACE - With this emergency preparedness pack, rest assured that you have the basic supplies needed for survival during an emergency. Save yourself hours and money from searching and purchasing all items with one bag that's ready to go.
- BASIC FIRST AID - After an emergency, health care providers may not be able to reach you for some time. Be prepared to administer minor first aid with the 41-piece first aid kit and guide in this basic emergency survival bag.
- LIGHT SOURCE OPTIONS - Extreme darkness during a power outage can make even the most steadfast nervous. With this 2-person basic evacuation kit, you'll have light sources. Kit includes: SnapLights and an LED lantern to help illuminate the night.
Survival Tabs 8-Day Food Supply 96 Tabs Emergency Food Replacement Disaster Preparedness for Earthquake Flood Tsunami Gluten Free and Non-GMO 25 Years Shelf Life Long Term Food Storage - Mixed Flavor
- Contain 100% of 15 Essential Vitamins & Minerals. Made with the highest quality protein. GLUTEN FREE and NON-GMO.
- The 'Just in Case' Food Supply, The Survival Tabs backup for the situations such as natural disasters. This is the best possible food in the smallest possible volume. Created to supply the body with all the daily essential vitamins and minerals needed when facing uncertainty. The compact design allows for easy storage and is perfect for individual emergency kits.
- This convenient portable, personal pouches will sustain a person for 8 days | This calculation is based upon one average person. Consumption requirements may vary from person to person.
- Flavor: Mixed Flavor - Each pouch is 1 flavor - Butterscotch, Vanilla, Strawberry and Chocolate. | Contains: 24 Tablets x 4 pouches = 96 Tablets. | Servings: 12 Chewable Tablets - 20 Calories per tab.
- Weight: Approximately 10 ounces per pouch. Dimensions (inches): 5.5 x 8.5 x 2.75 (W x H x L).