Wilderness survival can be one of the greatest challenges of your lifetime. If you venture into the wild you need to know wilderness survival skills stay alive.
A basic wilderness survival tip is to find you shelter if you are in the woods for more than a short time. Make sure that you choose a shelter that will protect you from weather and animals. Keep in mind that the temperature can be dramatically changed between night and day, so make sure that you are choosing a shelter that can keep your body temperature balanced and that you don’t get too cold. You want to make sure that you have a type of roof or covering so that if it rains you don’t get wet. Mixing wet clothes and cold temperatures only leads to worse life threatening problems. Make sure that you get familiar with the location of your campsite so that when you venture off to find food and water you don’t become more lost and can’t find your campsite. This is a very important tip that anyone that plans to survive in the outdoors should know.
The next important tip to surviving the wilderness after finding your campsite is to get a fire going. A fire is very important to have when you are lost outdoors. A fire can help you in many different ways such as helping to keep your warm at night, keeps animals from approaching your campsite, and can also act as an oven to cook food from. A fire is also very important to have because the smoke from the fire alarms rescuers and helps them to pinpoint exactly where your campsite is. You want to make sure that your fire is constantly burning and finding wood to keep it going is another great tip when it comes to surviving in the wilderness.
Food and Wilderness Survival
After you have found a campsite and created a fire for your campsite, your next step is to find food and water. It is always wise to carry a backpack whenever you go on an outdoor trip and should have basic survival gear, some of which should be water, canned goods, a metal bowl, utensils, and a can opener. However, after you have run out of your materials in your survival backpack you then need to find a clean source of water, such as a running stream, and either hunt land animals or find a good fishing spot to fish from. Keeping yourself hydrated is very important as well as eating food to give you energy.
Most of your food can be found naturally and come in different varieties such as wild berries, fish and other water foods, insects and bugs, birds, and other large animals. It is very important that you have knowledge about each different type of food source and should be researched and learned about before any type of outdoor trip. Here is a summary of different types of food you can use for survival.
Wild Berries – are one of the easiest and most commonly found food items when you are lost in the woods. Most of the wild berries you will find in the wilderness are edible, however you need to make sure that you research all of the different types of wild berries there are and what they look like, so that you make sure you don’t consume a berries that could potentially harm you. Wild berries are especially easy to find in the summer months, however you can still find some wild berries that will grow in the winter time. So make sure that you research and know your berries for food supply when you are lost in the woods.
Fish and Food from the Water – can easily be found and if they are a source from freshwater in North America are most commonly safe to eat. You can eat fish raw, however it is advised that you warm and cook the fish from a fire or portable grill. Catching fish does not have to be a hard task to perform at all. Many fish you can catch barehanded. The easiest way to capture a ton of fish is by waiting by where the fish are found swimming by and then pinning them down to the bottom of the stream. Although it sounds difficult, in actuality it is not. You can also catch other animals for the water to consume such as shell fish and crayfish. All of these water animals are safe to eat and can be easily captured to give you the nutrients and energy you need to survive in the woods.
Insect and Bugs – two of the safest insects and bugs to eat are grasshoppers and wood grubs. Although they aren’t very tasty they can give you the protein and nutrients you need to provide your body while lost in the woods. These two types of insects can be consumed without cooking, however if it is possible it would be better to cook the two. You also want to make sure that you remove the wings and legs from the grasshopper. You can find grasshoppers in grassy areas and wood grubs can be found in rotten logs. There are a ton of insects and bugs that you can consume if you are trapped in the wilderness however, it is wise to gain a good knowledge about different types of insects and bugs that you can consume. Not all insects and bugs can be consumed without giving you bodily harm which is why it is so important that you know what types are safe and which ones are dangerous.
Birds – Although it is very hard to capture a bird without a gun it is possible with rocks. However, survivalists find it much easier to capture a bird from its nest or to capture bird eggs. Capturing bird eggs is one of the top survival food items that someone can get because they are filled with tons of protein that your body needs to give it energy and to survive. You always want to make sure that you cook the eggs before consumption. Never eat eggs raw.
Larger Mammal Animals – Although it can be a daunting task to capture a larger animal without any weapons, you can still however capture an animal through a trap and then kill them to eat. The easiest way to kill an animal for consumption purposes without the use of a knife or gun is by a rock. Make sure that you cook the animal thoroughly. All though you can consume some large animals raw, it is better to be cautious and cook all of your food that you capture.
Making sure that you know the foods that are readily available and surrounding you can increase your likelihood of wilderness survival. Making sure that your body stays hydrated and nourished is very important in your goal to surviving the outdoors, so make sure you keep these tips in mind and use them if you ever have to spend time in the woods.
Emergency Survival Kit 37 in 1, Survival Gear Tool Kit SOS Survival Tool Emergency Blanket Tactical Pen Flashlight Pliers Wire Saw for Wilderness Camping Hiking First Aid Survival Kit for Earthquake
- Must Have Survival Kit: 176pcs Upgraded survival gear kit includes 20pcs emergency survival kit 145pcs medical supplies and 11pcs fishing tools to better suit your needs. The all in one survival kit includes tactical folding knife, wire saw, flashlight, tactical defense pen, fire starter, compass, emergency blanket, folding pliers, whistle, saber card, bottle clip, carabiner, 11pcs fishing tools and 145 in 1 bag, etc.
- Well-made Survival Tool: 20pcs survival kit included to survive in the wilderness. Cold steel folding knife for cutting; 3 modes Flashlight for bringing enough light; Dual-tube whistle for attracting attention by producing volume up to 120 db; Wire Saw for cutting wood or bone; Multi-function pliers for fixing; Thermal blanket for retain 90% of body heat; There are also raincoat, bottle buckle, fire starter, carabiner, paracord bracelet, compass, writing pen for emergency situations.
- Comprehensive Basic Supplies: 145pcs totally for dressing bloody wound temporarily. PBT Bandages and wound pads are for protecting the wound from exposure, bandage triangulaire is for binding and holding your wound especially when bone is broken accidently; Cotton bud is for cleaning the blood on wound surface. Plus, the kit includes also tweezers, scissors, tape, etc. There are 11pcs fishing tools, which including 2 fishing hooks, 2 fishing lures , 2 fishing lines, etc.
- Compact & Waterproof: Dimensions is 8.6x6.3x3.93 inch, Weighs just around 2 lb, which is suitable for place in the backpack. The shell of the storage box is constructed of high quality EVA material for longer duration. The inside is able to fix the position of the multi-tool survival kit. Lightweight, compact and waterproof for easily carrying. Perfect for camping, hiking, and wilderness adventure.
- Necessary SOS Equipment: The multi-purpose survival gear kits contains everything you need when there is any emergency situation occurs like natural disaster or wilderness adventure. Perfectly fits for people who loves hiking, hunting, wilderness survival, etc. Great gift idea for outdoor adventurer, hiker, camper. Ideal Gifts for Men Dad Husband!