An essential for sometimes forgotten survival item is a mess kit. Many people plan how they’re going to get food, but not how they’re going to cook it, what they’re going to eat it from, or what they’re going to eat it with.
A good mess kit doesn’t take up much room and will be very useful. A durable pan, pot, and utensil set can help you survive comfortably. You’re going to need a kit that can withstand harsh conditions, such as being dropped, being exposed to rain, or being exposed to high temperatures.
It must also be lightweight and compact. Coleman makes a great mess kit with all the essentials. The 5 piece ALU Mess Kit comes with a frying pan, deep plate, cup, and a pot with a lid.
All of the items are made out of aluminum, so they’re lightweight and clean off easily. The whole set weighs just over a pound, so it’s not going to weight you down if you attach it to the back of your bag.
The pot is extremely useful for boiling water that you find as a means of purification. It has a carry handle, so you can fill it up or fill up your bottles with it and bring it back to be boiled.
Once boiled, it should be safe to drink after it cools off. The pan is useful for cooking up any meat you acquire from hunting or fishing. It might not taste great without any seasoning, but it’s nutritious.
The deep dish plate is great for serving any MRE food you make. The mess kit nests together, so you’re not trying to find space for an entire cooking set. You can simply nest them all together and attach it to the back of your bag.
Of course, you also need a solid utensil if you’re going to be eating. A durable, compact solution is the Light My Fire Titanium Spork. It weighs just 0.7 ounces, and is just under seven inches long.
It is entirely titanium – a weather resistant metal that’s sure to last. On one end, there’s a spoon, and on the other end, a fork. On one side of the fork, there’s a serrated edge that’s can to be used as a knife.
The Titanium Spork is very heat resistant, withstanding temperatures up to 2300 degrees Fahrenheit, so it won’t melt even when close to your cooking.
Light my Fire Titanium Spork
- CONVENIENT TAKE-AWAY METAL SPORK - The Spork Titanium is the ideal utensils camping. Lightweight and reusable all-in-one camping eating utensil for outdoor adventures and urban activities. Perfect as lunchbox cutlery, travel cutlery, for your camping and hiking kitchen, or simply serving or eating on the go. The titanium camping Spork combines both fork knife and spoon travel.
- 3 IN 1 LUNCH BOX CUTLERY - The camp spork Light My Fire is a multifunction travel cutlery, a practical combination of knife, fork and spoon just like a survival utensils can do. The fork has teeth to light cutting work as a knife does. The camping spoon is safe to use as non-stick cookware. A real zero waste alternative to plastic sporks and really a backpacking utensils lightweight.
- ECOLOGICAL AND SUSTAINABLE REUSABLE SPORK - The only travel spork to take anywhere you need it. Metal Sporks are hiking cutlery made from titanium and can be used over and over again. This metal camping spork is heat resistant, non-magnetic, hypoallergenic and very easy to clean by hand or in the dishwasher.
- PACKAGE CONTENT - A spork camping including 1 x "Light My Fire Spork Titanium Original" - The ultimate camping utensil pack including 3 titanium camping utensils in 1 travel fork knife spoon - 17 cm (6,7 In). 100% reusable cutlery in bio-based metal and without BPA. This backpacking utensil set goes in the dishwasher.
- A CAMP SPOON PRODUCED IN SWEDEN - Light My Fire is a Swedish brand that creates camping spoons that reconnect us with nature, wherever we are. No matter which portable spork you choose, its design, color and function are just as attractive and work in the city as in the wild. All sporks reusable are made from bio-based - for a more sustainable future.